Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ironman Coeur D'Alene--Will it Make a Human Popsicle Out of You?

Lake Coeur D'Alene ironman start IMCDA start IMCDA logo


As of yesterday, the mean water temperature of Lake Coeur D'Alene is a frigid 53 degrees Fahrenheit. On this day last year, it was 60 degrees. The ocean in Redondo Beach was around 65 degrees a few days ago, and man was it chilly. So what's 12 degrees colder feel like?


Perhaps it won't feel like anything, if my body goes numb on contact with the water. That's what I'm hoping for. That, and that it won't be so cold that it'll freeze message delivery half way between my brain and limbs to make me stop kicking or taking strokes.


At Xterra USA Nationals last year, the water temperature was a reported 58 degrees, with the air warming up to 70. There was a blizzard the day before the race. It was awesomely hardcore. But with a .9 mile swim and a warm-up beach run in the middle, it was a different beast.


So, Lake Coeur D'Alene, all I'm asking is that you'll warm up to at least 58 degrees, because I feel that may be the coldest my desert-bred body can handle. Pretty please with a polyurethane cap on top? If so, I promise not to pee in you as often as might otherwise be necessary to warm myself up.


XOXO,


your super-excited future Ironman triathlete,


TriDiva

No comments:

Post a Comment