Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Vineman Redux

Vineman


Excitement arose


as we drove and drove


North up and away


for a race last Sunday


Neither of us had ever been


very close to wine country


So when we arrived


we were overcome with its beauty


Twisty country roads took us along


toward the beach for the river swim


would the swim be wetsuit-legal?


wouldn't know until the race officials got in.


Then back off along the skinny roads


in a big arc we went


me noting grapes in rows and rows


coachance figuring where the road bent


Race day could not have been more fantabulous


Parents and a dear friend came out to cheer for us


With "It's my birthday!" on my right calf


the birthday wishes rolled in all through the half


People I passed and who passed me


all yelling cheerfully


Happy Birthday to me, indeed!


PRs all around


for my coachance and me


Fabity fab considering


the course was so hilly!


Then off to the vineyards


to taste some wine


and have a beautiful dinner


I'd go home more refined


(now I know the difference


between red and white!)


A more perfect birthday


there never was


with family, friends, and a race


and, not to forget, some chocolate cake!


Happy Racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment